Planting Seeds

It's the first totally dry day we have had in a while. I have been loving the rain for my garden but also wishing for a dry day to dig up some of my potatoes. I planted two raised beds this year and have completely fallen in love with being outside, and having something to call my own. 

It's been a wonderful day. I spent the morning speaking to kids all about the freedom we have in Christ and the joy that living in that freedom can create. I got to make crafts and play games with them, all the while knowing that seeds were being planted in their hearts. 

I was so excited getting home knowing that I was going to be able to harvest something today! I quickly changed, went out to the beds and began inspecting my green bean plants. What I found was less than I had expected. Six green beans. 
What.
"But all that hard work! All the weeding and watering and tending. Everyone else seems to have tons of vegetables in their garden, and I barely have enough for one serving."
Enter disappointment, feelings of failure, embarrassment, etc. 
I took my handful of green beans and brought them in to my hubby. I tried to muster up a smile as I set them on his nightstand. He looked at me and smiled a genuine toothy grin and said "Wow, babe! That's amazing! I am so proud of you!" 

I believe my husband is often times a tangible version of how God see's me. I sat down on the bed next to him and in that moment remembered what I had taught my kids that morning. I had written on the board "Jesus sets us free from _______". I then wrote several words that could be filled in that blank ( lying, laziness, failure) and some words that were positive things that we wanted to keep in our lives (prayer, singing, giving). We then had to figure out which words fit and which didn't. Apparently that lesson was designed for me today. I had written failure right on the board. Isn't it funny how God uses our own teaching points against us sometimes ;) 

Jesus sets me free from failure. I am not a failure because I have a smaller harvest than what I pictured. I am a winner because I tried something new! I am dedicated to my garden and have discovered a new passion! I was truly smiling thinking about my tiny handful of green beans. 
After that small revelation I ran back outside to dig up my potatoes. I ended up with what you see in the picture. A small bowl of potatoes and green beans.
And you know what? I am honestly proud of that. And I believe God is too.
I heard it once said, "If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it". 
I think it's even more accurate to say that "If God had a refrigerator, your drawings would be on it". I believe God cares about the little things, and our tiny achievements. I believe God is proud of his children. 
I'm thankful on this weekend that is designated to celebrate freedom, that I am free from failure, because God is delighted in me. 





Comments

Popular Posts